When it comes to theorising, planning, and undertaking a home improvement project in today’s day and age, many homeowners are blissfully unaware of the all-important cost vs ROI matrix and tend to opt for ineffectual upgrades that fail to move the needle in terms of home resale value.
Of course, a fresh lick of paint or some new patio furniture can provide a temporary boost to your curb appeal and perhaps enliven the aura around your property, but these superfluous upgrades won’t add a single pound to your home’s intrinsic value. Therefore, you should avoid wasting time and money on meagre DIY projects and instead turn your attention to the fixtures around your property.
In this regard, one of the most valuable fixtures in your home is actually your garage door, which is why countless homeowners are beginning to install new-age up and over doors in Wiltshire and all across the UK for that matter.
Why, you ask?
Well, year after year, garage door replacements sit atop the list of the most valuable, lucrative home improvement projects, due in large part to the fact that homeowners can recoup almost 91% of the initial installation costs in the form of increased home value. So if you contract the installation of a new garage door for say, 1,000 pounds, you’ll essentially be adding about 900 pounds to your property’s inherent value.
So without further ado, let’s take a closer look at the most popular garage doors available nowadays.
Up and Over Doors
Long gone are the days of having to deal with unwieldy, weighty, and unattractive garage doors, for the new-age iterations are not only stylish and sophisticated, but also durable and lightweight. Up and over doors, in particular, are widely renowned for their ease-of-use and simplistic construct:
- One-piece panel fabrication
- Wide range of design styles
- Robust assortment of core materials, such as uPVC, timber, and GRP just to name a few
- Canopy or retractable operating mechanism
The second-most popular garage door variant is the modernised roller door, which has come a long way from the antiquated, bulky roller models of years’ past. Due to its vertical operation components (as opposed to overhead tracking mechanisms), roller doors are known for providing the following benefits and advantages:
- Increases overhead storage space.
- You can park right up to the door without worrying about range of motion issues; the door won’t jut out from your garage frame.
- No springs or cables.
- Most of the fittings are built into the garage interior, which increases the width of your entryway.
- Remote operation; open and close with the simple push of a button.
- Wide variety of colour options and value-added upgrades, such as a courtesy light for instance.
Last but not least, we have to take a look at contemporary sectional doors, which blend features from up and over models as well as roller variants:
- Vertical opening and closing mechanism
- Available in steel or timber veneers
- Wide and tall passage
- Weather-resistant provisions
- Suitable for every type of garage
- Insulated against cold and noise
There you have it; the ultimate beginner’s guide to today’s most prominent garage doors!